- Our School
- What's On?
- Photo Gallery
- Our People
- Contact Us
Tauranga Primary School, as it is today, has arisen from a series of interesting happenings commencing as the first established school with the establishment of a Missionary School in 1835 by Sarah Wade, the wife of the Rev. R. W. Wade on a site where the 'Elms' now stands.
The school (a rapu hut) was responsible for educating 30 local children. In 1836 Archdeacon Brown arrived and so the permanent establishment of Tauranga District School began.
Bishop Selwyn produced the plans for an imposing 2 storyed gable bulding with a balfry to become a 'Mission Training Institute' 60 young Maori children to be trained in various crafts and agriculture and this building was opened in 1860. With a growing conflict between Maori and Europeans the Institue was closed in 1863 and was used as a hopsital during the Gat Pa Battles. After the hospital closed the Institue was turned back into a school (approx 1886) with Mrs Dalziell as the teacher and a roll of 50 pupils. On Monday 9 January 1871 The Central Education Board took over the operating of the School paying Mrs Dalziell 40 pounds per year and expecting the community to match this figure and from that date onwards Tauranga School can take the offical start of its life.
In 1872 the school was moved onto land between St Johns Street and 10th Avenue. 3 further rooms were built and both Maori and European children were being taught.
In 1880 a second site closer to town was purchased - cnr Harrington Street and Cameron Road, where the current Court House is situated. This No.2 school was built at a cost of 1070 pounds.
In 1904, at a cost of 432 pounds, the No 2 school was moved to todays location and the No.1 school buildings were sold. The Tauranga District school and it's roll continued to grow and in 1920 the Junior school was relocated onto land bording 5th and 6th Avenues. whilst in 1958 Tauranga Boys College was built and the school was renamed Tauanga School.
Now, in the 21st Century, Tauranga Primary School is a "Blended Learning Environment" where the very best of traditional teaching practice is blended with the latest advances that technology offers in education. In addition the teaching and learning programmes are supported by a well-equipped library, technology suite, swimming pool, adventure playgrounds and a hall, and all this amongst a setting of native and exotic trees.