- Our School
- What's On?
- Photo Gallery
- Our People
- Contact Us
Throughout the year there are loads of fun and exciting sports on offer at TPS!!!
All year 3-6 children are given the opportunity to be part of a school sport team and various sports allow the junior students to join in too. There are so many benefits to your child playing in a team sport. They will not only develop their sporting skills, but also increase their self confidence, make new friends and have loads of fun!!!
TERM 1 SPORTS
All of the sports will begin in the 2nd week of Term 1, therefore registrations will need to be returned to the school office as quickly as possible when school begins. Take the time over the holidays to check out which sports are available in order to not miss out on any teams. Registrations forms can be downloaded (see below), or picked up form school on Wednesday 29th January onwards.
• FLIPPABALL run by Tauranga Waterpolo
Flippaball is a fantastic team sport. It's not only fun, but it also helps develop the basic ball skills of passing and catching. Plus, provides the opportunity to increase confidence in the water. Strong swimming skills are not essential, but will develop!!
Played at Memorial Pool from Tuesday 12th February to Tuesday 26th March. Games are between 4:00pm - 8:30pm. TPS has teams for years 3-6 boys and girls.
• KIWI VOLLEYBALL run by Tauranga Volleyball
Kiwi volleyball is a kid friendly version of the real thing. Great for the development of the basic skills involved in volleyball such as set and pass, and if you're up for it... SPIKE!!!
Volleyball is played at QEYC from Friday 15th February. Games are played between 4:30pm - 8:00pm. TPS enters teams from year 3-6 boys and girls.
- SATURDAY MORNING CRICKET run by WBOP Cricket
Cricket is a great team building game that involves many sporting skills, plus, is a lot of fun! At primary level there is a huge emphasis on participation, giving all players equal batting and bowling time.
Cricket is played at various venues around the WBOP. Games begin on Saturday 9th February - Saturday 23rd March. Boys and girls from all years can participate.
- GIRLS ONLY SUMMER FOOTBALL LEAGUE run by WAIBOP Football
A social 5-a-side soccer competition just for girls!!! Great for those girls wanting to give soccer a go with other like-minded girls. Or those already playing, the chance to develop their skills further.
Please note that this competition continues from Term 4 2012. First games after the Christmas Break are on Monday 7th January for the under 8s and under 10s, and Friday 11th January for the under 12s.
If anyone is interested in joining a soccer team please contact me.
- RIPPA RUGBY run by BOP Rugby Union
Information is yet to be received on Rippa Rugby, but TPS will be entering teams into the competition.
- OTHER AFTER SCHOOL SPORT OPPORTUNITIES
TPS will also be providing the opportunity to become involved in Softball, Turbo Touch, AFL Kiwikick and our very own FUNdamental Skills Programme. Information on all of these will be available soon.
- INTER-SCHOOL EVENTS
There will also be opportunities to represent TPS at inter-school events throughout the year. Following are those in Term 1. Mark the dates in your calendar and start training!!
Pahoia Inter-school Triathlon Sunday 3rd March
Top Schools Sunday 17th March
School swimming sports Tuesday 19th March
BOP Girls Cricket Mini Rainbow WC Thursday 21st March
Surfing Competition Friday 22nd March
Weetbix Tryathlon Sunday 24th March
TERM 2 and 3 SPORTS
• NETBALL run by Harbourside Netball Association
At Primary School level there is a huge emphasis on skill development. This is enforced by compulsory rotation of positions, so the kids get a chance to play in every area of the court.
Year 3 & 4 play on Thursdays after school at 4pm. Year 5 & 6 play on Saturday mornings from 9.00am onwards. All games are played at the Harbourside Netball Centre, with the first game on Saturday 11th May.
• MINIBALL run by Tauranga City Basketball
Miniball is a modified version of basketball for Years 1-6 children. A great team sport that encourages ball skills, movement and team work.
Year 1 & 2s start Monday 13th May. Year 3 - 6s start Friday 17th May. All games are played at the TECT Arena between 4:00pm and 8:30pm.
• HOCKEY run by Tauranga Hockey Association
Hockey is available to all Years 1-6 children. The year groups are divided into different programmes/leagues to accommodate their skill level.
“Fun Sticks” is a fundamental skills programme for the Years 1/2 children. Children rotate around various skill stations then finish with mini games. "Fun Sticks" begins Saturday 11th May at Tauranga Boys College.
“Small Sticks” is the competitive hockey league for Year 3-6 children. Games are played on smaller fields and with less players in order to improve their skills and enjoyment for the game. Grading games begin on Saturday 11th May at the Blake Park Hockey Turf Complex.
Note: the school does not offer Football (Soccer) or Rugby as the local clubs fullfil this criteria.
- INTER SCHOOL EVENTS
The following Inter-School competitions will be taking place in Term 2. If you are interested in any of the following school sports teams, keep your ears posted for team try-outs!!
TPS, South Cluster, WBOP, BOP X-Country
WBOP & BOP Rippa Rugby World Cup
Gym Sports Festival (gymnastics, cheerleading, aerobics & hip-hop)
- TERM 4 SPORTS
- Touch Rugby - An exciting and fast non-contact version of rugby for boys and girls. Played on Wednesdays between 4:00pm and 5:30pm at the Tauranga Domain.
- Kiwitag - The rugby league version of rippa rugby. Played on Tuesdays between 4:30pm and 6:30pm at Waipuna Park in Welcome Bay.
- Flippaball - Fun in the water! Develop basic ball skills and water confidence. Played on Tuesdays between 4:00pm and 8:30pm at the Tauranga Memorial Pool.
- Saturday morning cricket - Participation is the main focus giving all kids equal batting and bowling time. Played at various venues in the WBOP region on Saturday mornings.
- Girls Only Soccer League - A social 5-a-side soccer league just for girls!! Under 8s and under 10s play on Monday nights and under 12s on Friday nights. All games are played between 5:30pm and 7:30pm.
- Have a Go Cricket - A programme designed to teach the fundamental skills of cricket. At school at 8:00am on Wednesday mornings.
- After School FUNdamental Skills programme - Just for Years 0-3. The programme allows the kids to explore a range of sports and have some fun! Mondays after school from 3:15pm to 4:15pm.
All of our out of school teams run with the help of parents and without this help we are unable to enter teams. There are plenty of opportunities to do coaching courses throughout the year.
Throughout the year we also have school teams representing as in,
Cross Country Running, Swimming, Athletics, Gym, Chess, Triathlon, Golf, Rugby, Soccer, Badminton, Top Schools, Young Einstein, Jump Jam, Funky Fun Days, Tennis.
We take pride in over 90% of all our year 3-6 are involved in sport at Tauranga Primary School.
For more information on sport you can contact Jo Taele on firstname.lastname@example.org
FOR MORE INFORMATION AND ENROLMENT FORMS GO TO 'WHATS ON' - notices
|Registration form Term 1 sport 2013.pdf||65.09 KB|
|Registration form Term 2 & 3 2013.pdf||60.03 KB|